The City of Aurora’s
Fiestas Patrias Parade Grand Marshal Selection Process
Grand Marshal Nominations
The City of Aurora, the Aurora Hispanic Heritage Advisory Board (AHHAB), and the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce seek nominations for the Grand Marshal from July 23rd through August 17th. A press release announcing the process is issued and information is posted on the City’s website, social media pages and the AHHAB’s & Hispanic Chamber of Commerce’s FB pages.
The Grand Marshal Review Committee reviews the nominations and produces a list of the top three candidates. The top three candidates are then forwarded to the Mayor’s Office for review. The Grand Marshal Review Committee consists of the Special Events Manager, a member of the Mayor’s Office staff, a member of the City Council and members of the AHHAB & Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. The committee bases their recommendations on the following criteria:
1. Nominee will be selected on the basis of his/her contributions to the quality of life in the City of Aurora, through: civic and/or social services; humanitarianism; personal achievements in the areas of the arts, sports, etc.; or based on the distinction that he/she has brought to the City of Aurora resulting from achievements elsewhere for the betterment of the Hispanic/Latino community.
2. Nominee should be a current or long term past resident of the City of Aurora.
3. Individual must be willing to act as Grand Marshal (GM), which includes the following:
- Attend the City Council Recognition and GM Reception on September 11th at 6:00 PM.
- Participate in the Fiestas Patrias Reviewing Stand Program at 10:00 AM and the Parade at 10:30 AM on September 16th.
Grand Marshal Selection: The top three candidates are forwarded to the Mayor’s Office no later than August 22nd. The Mayor’s Office reviews the nominations and makes the final selection by August 27th at which time the AHHAB is notified and a press release is issued.
Grand Marshal Reception: The Grand Marshal is acknowledged at the September 11th City Council meeting. A reception in honor of the Grand Marshal is held immediately after the City Council meeting at La Quinta de los Reyes. Individuals who served as past Grand Marshals are invited to the City Council meeting and reception.
Parade: The Grand Marshal is placed early in the parade lineup and acknowledged by parade commentators; once the parade route is complete he/she is escorted to the reviewing stand to join past Grand Marshals for the remainder of the parade.